[LCP]SIGFPE

Ram ram123p at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 12 13:53:06 UTC 2002

Quoting from some net sources:

When the signal handler returns, processing resumes at
the point of interruption. Depending on the signal
this can be undesirable. For example, a return in
connection with SIGFPE will lead to an immediate
second SIGFPE unless you patch up the problem.
Patching is very difficult but even if possible, will
require some dirty machine dependent method. Rather
than returning from the handler, a siglongjmp or exit
is more reasonable in this case.

Also signal man page says that
" According to POSIX, the behaviour of a process is
undefined after it ignores a SIGFPE, SIGILL, or
SIGSEGV sig­nal  that  was  not  generated by the
kill() or the raise() functions.  ""Integer division
by zero has undefined result.""  On some architectures
it will generate a SIGFPE signal.  (Also dividing the
most negative integer  by -1 may generate SIGFPE.)
Ignoring this signal might lead to an endless loop"

Both seem to suggest that it will go in loop.
But its not clear why ??

- Ram