[LCP]A doubt in Linux --- Please help

rahul pande panderahul at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 03:45:05 UTC 2001

Hello All,

I am experimenting with using "initrd" to have two stage booting, on a
diskless machine. My intension is to get the file system to be mounted as
root from a remote machine. The plan is to use "tftp" client to get the root
file system from the remote machine. To accomplish the above I need to
assign an IP Address (NIC driver is built in the image) to the diskless
machine, so that "tftp" can be used in the network. All the above should
happen before the "init" is called. Can someone give advice as to how i can
assign an IP Address or configure the network for the diskless machine in
the above scenario.

I tried using "ifconfig eth0 <ip address> up" in /linuxrc file but it failed
giving some modprobe (kmod) error.

Waiting for ur response.

Thanks and Regards,
    rahul

PS :: If this is not the right mailing list for such questions please
suggest me pointers for future reference.