[LCP]Updating to glibc2 -- Dynamic loader problems

Davin Flatten davinslists at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 02:14:05 UTC 2001

Hello all!

I am trying to compile and upgrade to the newest
version of glibc as a secondary test library.  After
much effort and upgrades I was succesfully able to
compile and check the glibc-2.2.3 release.  I am
following the instructions in the Glibc 2 HOWTO which
seem to be somewhat out of date.  The next step after
make install was to "update the dynamic loader" with
this command:

ln -s /mynew-libdir/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/lib/ld-linux.so.2

Unfortunately, as I understand it, this is trying to
overwrite the ld-linux.so.2->ld-2.2.so with a new link
like:
/lib/ld-linux.so.2->/mynew-libdir/lib/ld-linux.so.2

When I tried this ln complained that there was already
a link named /lib/ld-linux.so.2.  This is were I got
stupid:  I moved /lib/ld-linux.so.2 to
/lib/ld-linux.so.bak and I broke the whole system.
After much todo I was able to recover the system to
it's original link.

Now I am wondering to correctly install a test library
what do I need to do?  Do I need to force ln to link
as the directions say?  Wouldn't that make all
compiled applications try to use the new library?
I am holding off doing anything until I understand
this better.

Thanks for the help.
Davin Flatten