[Linux-aus] Proposal: LCA lightning talks be selected in papers selection process

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sun Jan 27 20:43:29 AEDT 2019

Hi Paul

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 05:44:16PM +1100, Paul Wayper via linux-aus wrote:
> I'd like to propose that the lightning talks be considered in the same
> process as submitting talks for LCA.

This is an interesting suggestion and deserves to be discussed.  Thanks for
bringing it up.

Speaking personally, I would not be keen on this for a number of reasons.
Perhaps most significate is that the short notice is part of what makes the
lightning talks what they are.  True, it does mean that they are not as
polished as standard conference talks.  However, often lightning talks are
shaped by the conference itself: talks which were heard, hallway
discussions, issues which turn up in the weeks before the conference, and so
on.  If lightning talk submission and selection occurred before the
conference then we'd miss this.

> I would rather not see people simply edit down a pre-canned 50 minute talk
> into a five minute blur of slides and gabbling.

While this certainly can and does happen, the majority of lightning talks
don't come across to be like this, at least not to me.  Granted, they are
often delivered at a rapid pace.

> And thanks, once again, to all the organisers of LCA, the LA committee for
> providing support for LCA, and all the many people who put time, effort
> and sometimes blood, tears and sweat into making the conference go well.
> It was a great time and a great credit to Christchurch's Linux community.

+1

Regards
  jonathan