[Linux-aus] Please change your Linux Australia-related passwords if you haven't for a while

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Tue Jul 24 12:48:30 AEST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

You may recall back in 2015 there was a potential exposure of data from
a Linux Australia server which had been compromised. In line with best
practice, this was fully disclosed to our members.

http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2015-April/022049.html

Yesterday we received credible feedback from a long-standing Linux
Australia member who recently received a Bitcoin / ransomware threat
email which included a password they were using circa 2015. Their
analysis is that this information could only have come from one of two
places - a large dump released in 2016 of data taken from LinkedIn, or
the Linux Australia breach.

While we assume that Linux Australia members have already acted to
change any passwords involved and otherwise practice god password
hygiene - not reusing passwords, using difficult to brute force
passwords etc - we thought it wise to note there is at least the
potential for this data to be misused some years later.

Kind regards,
Kathy

--

Kathy Reid