[Linux-aus] [Grant Application] Kids Tracks at BuzzConf

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Sep 23 01:22:39 AEST 2017

On Friday, 22 September 2017 10:37:22 AM AEST Noel Butler via linux-aus wrote:
> Taking into consideration all the new info, I support this grant, for
> the 5K.

I agree in principle.  Sponsoring things that teach kids about technology is a
good thing.  Sponsoring such educational events for kids that are only mostly-
free is OK as long as there is a good amount of free content.  An event that
has Scratch, electronics, and Minecraft isn't tainted because of Minecraft
being involved.  But an assurance that they won't say "now that Linux
Australia has given us money we can buy more Minecraft licenses" would be
good.

I haven't read about this enough to be able to confidently endorse the grant.
But provided that all the other usual criteria for grants are met I think that
in concept this sounds really good.  Also I'm not specifically supporting $5K
as the amount.  If $5K is determined to be necessary to achieve the goals of
educating kids and if there is a suitable number of kids then that could be
reasonable.

Hypothetically speaking if there were only 10 kids involved then at $500 each
it would not be good value for money.  But if there were 50+ kids then $100
each might be reasonable, if there were 100+ then I would endorse it.