[Linux-aus] LCA2018 venue: which UoT Sydney campus?

Ewen McNeill linux-aus at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Tue Oct 17 14:41:58 AEDT 2017

Hi Bruce,

On 17/10/17 12:29, Bruce Crawley wrote:
> I can confirm that the conference is indeed being held at the main UTS
> campus in Broadway. [CB01 and nearby] We have updated the venue page
> overnight to add some clarity: https://linux.conf.au/about/venue/

Thanks for this detail, and thanks to the people who replied on list /
offlist.  I booked an apartment last night, for both weeks, which I'm
told is "just the other side of Broadway" from the UoT Broadway Campus,
so it seems to have all worked out.

> Overnight we have also finally updated the accommodation page with some
> details of what we have been able to procure from nearby hotels. More
> information can be found here: https://linux.conf.au/attend/accommodation/

I'd encourage anyone else waiting on booking accommodation to look there
-- it's (now) got the detail I was looking for when I did my LCA
registration, including some block bookings for nearby hotels (the
non-LCA-booking-code hotel room space at nearby hotels is already
looking a bit scarce and/or expensive at this "peak summer" time).

For future LCA teams reference, even if you can't get hotel information
up by "registration open" time, it'd be very helpful if (a) an
indication of if there'll be LCA-discount codes / student accommodation
available or "fend for yourself, good luck", (b) a decent "measure to
this" location for planning what is "nearby", and (c) an approximate ETA
for when more information will be available.  Attendees travelling from
overseas/out of town may well be waiting on booking flights (as I was)
until they've figured out accommodation options (and thus are able to do
the "there/not there that day saves half the airfare juggle -- one night
at "rack rate" in many nearby hotels in Sydney on some of the nights is
more than 1/3rd of my round trip airfare).

Ewen