[Linux-aus] Linux Australia has signed the Secure the Internet petition

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Mon Jul 10 13:04:47 AEST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Hoping that this Monday finds you well, and your dashboards green.

This is a courtesy note to advise that Linux Australia has signed the
Secure the Internet petition:

https://www.securetheinternet.org/

The petition calls on governments across the world to strengthen, not
weaken, encryption and privacy controls, and strongly opposes the
introduction of 'backdoors' into cryptographic systems. Weakening
encryption is not an effective cyber-security counter-measure.

Our read is that this is a non-contentious position for Linux Australia
to take, given the strong technical understanding of our community.
However as always if we've misjudged the position of our membership,
your feedback and comments are always warmly welcomed.

Kind regards,

Kathy

--
Kathy Reid