[Linux-aus] Grant Application - Building the Open Source Talent Pipeline in Australia: A Cyber Forensics Student Extension Program

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Sat Jul 8 15:57:01 AEST 2017

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for applying to the Linux Australia Grants Program.

Council considered this Grant Application at meeting 6th July 2017 and
have respectfully declined the Grant Application.

The Application was very well written, with clearly articulated
objectives, milestones and costings, and serves as an exemplar to other
Grant Applicants in this regard. However, the application showed only
tangential overlap with open source and the open source objectives of
the Grants Program. Council recommend that this application may be more
suitable for funding under programs aimed at STEM education, STEM and
coding uptake and digital literacy.

Again, we thank you for the time and effort in this application, and
wish you all the best for this research project.

With kind regards,

Kathy Reid

On 07/06/17 10:13, Paul Watters via linux-aus wrote:

> 1. Project name
>
> Building the Open Source Talent Pipeline in Australia: A Cyber
> Forensics Student Extension Program
>

> 2. Aim of the project, including any key stages or milestones of the
> project
>
> Research indicates that young people are genuinely interested in
> technology at an early age, but that negative experiences within a
> highly constrained curriculum, coupled with being taught (in many
> cases) by unqualified teachers, can led to disengagement. This is
> coupled with negative stereotypes portrayed in the media and popular
> culture around “nerds” and “geeks”; peer pressure to conform to social
> expectations and constructs discourages young people from technology
> careers, despite industry-identified “skills gaps” and high salaries.
> Finally, accessing technologies can be very expensive, and groups that
> face barriers to access (such as young people with a disability, or
> homeless students). Students may not be aware that there are
> alternatives to commercial, closed source technologies that are easily
> accessible, and which provide the freedom to create and contribute.
>
> The aim of this project is to create an open source forensics
> educational engagement programme in Victoria, that is aligned with the
> digital literacy VCE syllabus. The project seeks to re-engage students
> in senior years using the “CSI Effect”; particularly with the
> publicity given to cyber attacks linked to closed source / proprietary
> technologies, this is an excellent opportunity to embed open source
> values early in learning. Especially in the security field, rigorous
> peer review and critique leads to the best solutions, rather than
> relying on secrecy and obscurity.
>
> The engagement programme will not seek to replace anything taught on
> the curriculum, but instead focus on fun, topical and engaging
> experiences, that may stimulate and motivate students to consider
> cyber security as a career. The programme will only use open source
> forensics tools, but will reveal how closed source technologies can be
> subjected to physical examination.
>
> While the project team will contribute their time as an in-kind
> contribution to the project, funding is sought to purchase a range of
> typical hardware devices to physically examine, and create forensic
> use cases for. This will give students who take the programme some
> hands-on experience with real-world technologies, using open source
> tools. Students will also be shown how an open source forensics
> toolkit can be extended as needed.
>
> The programme will comprise a set of four learning activities,
> designed to be undertaken over 4 x 1 hour sessions, ideally suited to
> an “incursion” or workshop run at a school. The hardware devices will
> be made available free of charge to all schools in Victoria: schools
> will only be asked to pay for shipping costs to borrow the equipment.
> All educational materials developed through the programme will be
> [...]

Kathy Reid
President
Linux Australia

0418 130 636