[Linux-aus] SPF problems too

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Mar 2 13:18:23 AEDT 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 08:21:00 AM Noel Butler wrote:
> We've found greylisting is waste of time these days, as Russ points out,
> all it does it delay legit mail, their connection has to hit anyway, so
> better to rely on better configurations...

Steve Walsh and David Bell have stated that the amount of spam getting through
has increased since greylisting was disabled.

I never claimed that greylisting is a waste of time, I use it on my own mail
server!  But it doesn't seem to provide any benefit for a closed list (IE one
that only members can post to) if the server also ensures that mail isn't
forger.  So if SPF was correctly implemented to stop the forged mail from
James Purser then greylisting wouldn't be needed for the lists.

But greylisting would still be good for all the other addresses.