[Linux-aus] SPF problems too

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Jan 15 21:06:19 AEDT 2016

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 06:52:29 PM Mark Foster wrote:
> > Also, while on the topic of email,  I would like to know why my emails
> > to the list always is/seems delayed and sometimes disappears?
> > (no bounce, no nothing - as in  moderated / dropped / deleted)
> >
> > If it is that I am moderated I would appreciate knowing that, so that I
> > may rather unsubscribe and reduce the amount of work "on your plate"
>
> The listserv server operates with 'greylisting' (an interesting choice
> for a mailing list).  Check the delayed email's headers and you'll see
> evidence of exactly how the message was delayed.
> Don't assume malice where none exists - or at least, check your facts
> first :-)

Would it be possible to auto-whitelist combinations of sender and IP that have
been seen before?

Also do we even have a problem that greylisting will solve?  The server does
SPF checks so anyone who has a SPF record with -ALL won't have their mail
spoofed.  The server will only accept mail from subscribers so we won't have a
problem of spam from random addresses being sent.

As far as I recall we have only had a single instance of spam going to the
list and I don't think that's due to greylisting.