[Linux-aus] How did non-event sub-comittees get formed?

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Sun Dec 4 10:56:06 AEDT 2016

At the risk of sounding like a bureaucrat (let alone a Sith Lord!), I'd
just like to provide some background here.

The legal basis for Subcommittees is S(21) of the LA Constitution [1]
which in essence allows the Committee (Council) to delegate powers to a
Subcommittee - the instruments for doing so - such as policies - are
left up to the organisation.

This seems like a great opportunity for someone to have a look at v1 and
v2 of our Subcommittee policy and see if one or both need revision for
non-event Subcommittees, and propose changes / amendments / additions to
our policy suite [2]. For example, Chris Neugebauer did some excellent
work taking v1 as the basis and producing v2 a couple of years ago to
ensure that events have some long-term oversight, even if they're run by
different teams year to year.

Do we need revisions to our non-event Subcommittee policy to have more
effective Subcommittees and better facilitate people making
contributions on Subcommittees (and thanks too Russell for your interest
here)?

Let's turn the conversation into an action item or productive outcome.

Kind regards,
Kathy

[1] https://linux.org.au/constitution

[2] https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies