[Linux-aus] Open source hardware for open source conference recording - now launched!

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Sep 26 11:49:26 AEST 2015

> The Opsis is flexible and powerful enough to have a large number of
> use cases, many of which we probably haven’t considered.

This is really interesting!  Is there any way the board would be able
to record a VGA signal?  Many older PC demos[1] won't work in emulators
like DOSBox, so recording a video of them for posterity is a bit
difficult without a VGA capture device.  I tried using an old (cheap)
Avocent KVM-over-IP box to capture the VGA signal but it can't handle
the framerate and applies too much compression to the signal anyway.

I guess if the board lacks analogue inputs, you could use a VGA to
DisplayPort adapter?  I'm not sure if these exist though - they all
seem to convert DisplayPort to VGA, rather than converting VGA to
DisplayPort.

I've also seen a few projects (mostly arcade related) attempt to
convert older CGA/EGA signals into VGA or HDMI, with some success, to
replace aging CRT screens with newer LCD panels.  With suitable
software, would this board be able to accept the six or so TTL signals
from a CGA/EGA board and then generate a DisplayPort/HDMI signal from
that?

Thanks,
Adam.

[1]: http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[0]=MS-Dos&page=1&order=views