[Linux-aus] Request: Officially oppose TPP Source Code provision

Ben Sturmfels ben at stumbles.id.au
Mon Nov 9 09:57:09 AEDT 2015

On 06/11/15 11:43, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 06Nov2015 08:21, Russell Stuart <russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-11-06 at 08:14 +1100, Mark Walkom wrote:
>>> I'll second this.
>>
>> I'm struggling to think of for purpose for that clause, other that as
>> direct attack on the copy left licences.
>
> Are you? I'm not. Firstly, it in NO WAY affects GPL stuff. What it
> precludes is one government (call them "A") requiring access to source
> code developed/owned under another government ("B") as a condition of
> offering that software for sale in the territory of the first government
> ("A").

It's not much consolation that *existing* free software won't be
affected - it's the software that we haven't freed yet that matters most.

Requiring one of the four freedoms (source code) to distribute software
within Australia would be a huge win to the free software movement.
After all, the purpose of the movement is freeing everyone from
proprietary software.

Our government shouldn't relinquish the option, however unlikely, to
require source code as a condition of import.

Regards,
Ben