[Linux-aus] Kiwi PyCon 2014 CfP: Today really *is* the deadline.

Tom Eastman tom at eastman.net.nz
Mon Jun 30 10:51:04 EST 2014

A treatise on the philosophy of conference call deadlines
By Douglas Bagnall

Conference call time extensions are like musical encores. There was a
time (or perhaps many; it may be cyclical) when an encore became so
expected that bands would ritually exit and return, even if no-one had
expressed any enthusiasm for that. Then there came the encores on
encores, where performers might actually be cheered back on after
completing the nominal extension. Sensing a spiral into meaningless,
bands began to declare they would do no encores. It was baffling at
first but may have been for the best (not to say empty rituals are
necessarily worthless, but watching people stumble on and off stages
was getting tedious).

And so it is with tech conference calls. We are now at the stage where
we strongly expect one deadline extension and are beginning to suspect
a second. The costs fall differently here, of course: the organisers
are both the beggars and the extenders, and the extensions are
presumably negatively related to our response. But perhaps the
medicine is the same. Eventually some conference will have to say
"this is the deadline; there will be no extensions". Nobody will
believe them and the event will be a flop, but at least we'll pay
attention the next time.

Addendum
========
(By Tom Eastman)

If you don't submit your talk for Kiwi PyCon 2014 while it's still June
the 30th. You are *out*. *of*. *luck*.

:-D

	http://kiwi.pycon.org/call-for-proposals/