[Linux-aus] Grant request: Contribution to Senate voting source code FOI request review.

Daniel Jitnah djitnah at greenwareit.com.au
Mon Jun 23 17:54:53 EST 2014

If all fails, there is an underlying outcome here, that is to raise
awareness and create discussions on the inappropriateness of using a
proprietary software systems for a voting system.

There is no doubt in my mind that any voting system can only be Open
Source.  Its the only way to guarantee accountability and traceability
of votes in an electronic/software voting system.

If this initiative gets traction, it can have important and wide ranging
implications in many aspects of democracy and gov. accountability etc.
So I think it is better to give it the chance to progress and evolve - I
don't think anyone will regret that LA and all the other financial
supporters have been backing this, (unless one has a vested interest in
not making the code open!!)

I agree though a clearer statement of intentions and purpose will
certainly give more credence to this.

One thing though I assume that if/when the code is made available, it
wont be made so with a non-disclosure agreement.  That would be pointless.

Cheers
Daniel.