[Linux-aus] Grant request: Contribution to Senate voting source code FOI request review.

Luke John email at lukejohn.me
Mon Jun 23 13:13:23 EST 2014

Hey All,

After seeing Michaels FOI request last year I attempted to get access
to the EasyCount source code through scrutineering based on the
following legislation.

Electoral Act Sect 265(1)(c)  - All the proceedings at the scrutiny
shall be open to the inspection of the scrutineers;
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/cea1918233/s273a.html

Unfortunately they still refused access and beyond making a formal
complaint I could find no remedy under the act for the aec refusing
access to scrutiny.

Some other concerns I had after scrutineering that may be of interest;

None of the hardware used as part of the computerised scrutiny is secured.
The vote entry and handling aspects of the EasyCount system were not
tested, the only testing that occurred was on the tallying part of the
code.
The aec refused access to the tests and their results.
The has been no measuring of accuracy of the double entry of the below
the line votes.  From a cursory check (listening for the audio beep
that occurs when an incorrect vote is entered) as many as 1% of btl
votes may be getting entered incorrectly.

Kind Regards
Luke John