[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 03 June 2014

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Mon Jun 16 12:31:46 EST 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:51:33AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:12:22 Michael Still wrote:
> > There has been talk on and off about a peer reviewed "track" at LCA
> > for literally a decade (we nearly did it in 2005). The reasons it
> > hasn't happened come down to finding the reviewers, and a feeling that
> > it wouldn't improve the quality of talks presented (I've sat in many
> > very bad academic presentations).
>
> I have the impression that giving lectures at conferences is required for
> career progression in academia.  Is this correct?

Required? No.  Of value?  Maybe but limited, and very dependent on the nature
of the lecture.

If an academic is invited to give a prestigious (often named) lecture at a
major conference, this may be of value.  Much more so if it is followed up
with a peer-reviewed publication.  But if it is a lecture given in
a session put together from offers to present,  where there is no evidence
that the participation was a measure of the reputation of the speaker amongst
peers,  where there was no assessment of the impact of the lecture, and where
in theory there might not have been an audience, the lecture will have little
weight in career progression.

Dave