[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 03 June 2014

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jun 16 10:12:22 EST 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:21:35 Mark Ellem wrote:
>> Exactly. While I see the benefits of LCA being peer-reviewed, I fear it
>> could also affect barriers of entry. While it's always a task to create
>> the right formula for a conf, going too far in formality could cause
>> serious damage.
>
> While I still don't know what exactly is involved in making it peer-reviewed,
> I can't imagine why this would be any sort of barrier to entry.
>
> Presumably someone who offers a talk could just tick a box on the web site
> saying "I don't want to go through the university credit process" and be
> assessed in the same way as all the previous LCAs.  Of course this would have
> to be clearly explained to speakers.

There has been talk on and off about a peer reviewed "track" at LCA
for literally a decade (we nearly did it in 2005). The reasons it
hasn't happened come down to finding the reviewers, and a feeling that
it wouldn't improve the quality of talks presented (I've sat in many
very bad academic presentations). Additionally, I think it means we
need to start collecting written documents for presentation, which
isn't something our speakers have been historically interested in
doing. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

On another note though -- the lca2015 call for proposals is open, so
if you're interested in talking at LCA, now is the time to be putting
something in.

    https://linux.conf.au/cfp

Michael

--