[Linux-aus] tracking network access

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Wed Jun 11 11:21:15 EST 2014

On 06/10/2014 06:21 PM, Russell Coker wrote:
> # The directors are looking at options for securing information within the
> # network here. Ie. Tracking (to a certain degree) server downloads and
> # internet access/ usage etc. Is there an easy way of doing this ie. Maybe a
> # program that you would recommend?
>
> Above is a request that I received from a client.  Any suggestions on what
> software can deal with this?  I know that the request isn't very informative,
> I hope that when I give them a few suggestions of ways I can track things then
> they can give me some more information.
>
> They have a Debian/Wheezy firewall in place with plenty of spare RAM and disk
> space.

Hi Russell,

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they are looking for
something along the lines of data loss prevention (DLP) software. I'm
not aware of any Free Software solutions for this, although I must
confess I've never looked for it specifically.

Other options might be netflow/sflow, or iptables accounting.  For the
former, try ntop; the latter: Shorewall.

Regards,
Paul