[Linux-aus] tracking network access

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Jun 10 18:21:08 EST 2014

# The directors are looking at options for securing information within the
# network here. Ie. Tracking (to a certain degree) server downloads and
# internet access/ usage etc. Is there an easy way of doing this ie. Maybe a
# program that you would recommend?

Above is a request that I received from a client.  Any suggestions on what
software can deal with this?  I know that the request isn't very informative,
I hope that when I give them a few suggestions of ways I can track things then
they can give me some more information.

They have a Debian/Wheezy firewall in place with plenty of spare RAM and disk
space.