[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 21 08:54:41 EST 2014

On 21Jan2014 08:28, Simon Lyall <simon at darkmere.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Bianca Gibson wrote:
> > Our code of conduct says "If someone indicates they don't wish to be
> > photographed, respect that wish", but that doesn't help if you don't notice
> > them taking the photo. It's not practical to be constantly watching for
> > someone taking a photo.
>
> My question is what are we trying to prevent here?
> Is it:
>
> (a) Somebody sticking a camera in somebody's face and taking multiple
> close-ups when they don't want to be bothered:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11855040993/in/set-72157639586990105
>
> (b) Pictures of a single attendees taken from a distance:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11854994473/in/set-72157639586990105
>
> (c) Pictures of several people taken from a distance:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11855547076/in/set-72157639586990105

I would think all of these 3.

> (d) Medium shot of people sitting at talks, featuring dozens of
>      easily-identifyable people:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/11799143773/in/set-72157639497006444

And probably this 4th.

I know personally some people who _never_ like to be photographed.

While this may prevent them from giving public talks, it should not be a bar to attendance.

So I would say:

  aside from a speaker actively giving a talk, if the person will
  be identifiable, ask them before photographing

Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit.
"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't.  But there was _going_ to be when I
  began it.  It's just that something happened to it on the way."