[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Tue Jan 21 07:30:44 EST 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 21:51 +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:

> I twend to agree with Bianca, the delegate status coloured in Lanyards has
> not been used for the majority of linux.conf.au's and does not give much of
> a benefit really. The photo status coloured into the lanyards does give a big
> win to the community I think.

Typically we've used colour on the badges to indicate if a person is a
Organiser / Speaker / Media / Professional / etc. The colour stands out
a lot more than the writing on the badge.

This was easy enough with pre-printed badges, but now that the badges
are printed on demand when people rock up to rego (which is a damn fine
idea BTW), they are B&W only. Colour would be too slow (I understand
this was tested).

So using the coloured lanyards this year was a nice hack to resolve this
regression.

As has already been noted, using coloured dots or whatever on the badges
is ineffective. Using various shades of lanyards would be confusing, and
a lot more expensive as the organising team would need to have a lot of
lanyards on hand of various colours etc.

I have to ask the question. Was photography really an issue this year?
I didn't notice that many people taking photos this year.

Perhaps if people feel strongly about it, they could also wear another
completely different lanyard in addition to the coloured one - if
coloured ones are used again in Auckland.

But this won't necessarily stop them being photographed...

Cheers!