[Linux-aus] Linux Research

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 20:14:25 EST 2014

Ubuntu is great, but IMO its user-interface is just too slow. However, it
does look modern and quite nice. I personally use xubuntu which seems
better on older (i.e. 2 years+) or on virtual machines.

Virtual machines are a fantastic way of giving people a perfectly
reasonable trial experience, they really work very well. You can also then
set up other people's machine's precisely as they will all just be copies.
You then know what they will be seeing, using etc if they are asking you
questions.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Jackson Doak <noskcaj at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> There should be many LUGs in the brisbane area.
> Lubuntu and Xubuntu are also good for people coming from windows, and are
> a bit lighter
>

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Geoff Isaac <geofhazel7 at optusnet.com.au>wrote:
>
>>  Hi Linux Australia,
>> As a long-term member of Pine Rivers Computer Club Inc. I have taken up a
>> challenge to research Linux in an effort to overcome the sodden-following
>> of Microsoft members who just seem to think Linux is just a foreign
>> language.
>> Am having some success as having been on this exercise since last July;
>> tried Ubuntu but now have a liking for Linux Mint series, am now seek
>> additional advice and help to bolster my enthusiasm.  Is there a Linux
>> Users Group in Brisbane area.  I live in Kallangur!
>> While starting out many moons ago with Windows, have progressed to 'Open
>> use' computer system while XP based.  I have always been prepared to go
>> against the norm to expand ideas in computing.
>> Luckily, our current President does have some Linux-background and has
>> been most helpful. 'We' are gradually getting members to look at Our
>> screens on monthly Workshop days and surprise; surprise, I am receiving a
>> few questions as a result.
>> With over 250 members and mainly windows-associated over the Years, our
>> President suggested all this Linux stuff to me as a way of introducing new
>> thinking into the Club.
>> So, HELP please!  Can you assist me?
>> regards Geoff Isaac member #422
>>

>> No virus found in this message.