[Linux-aus] Papua New Guinea Open Source Community

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Mon Jan 13 19:19:43 EST 2014

Hi!
When the next LCA's were announced, and although I like the idea of
heading back across the ditch, the thought occurred to me about to what
degree LA's involved are with other communities around the region, not
just with New Zealand. That's to say, my precise though was 'I wonder
when will LCA go to Nouméa or, more realistically, PNG?'

So. I wonder if the new committee would consider, somehow, funding a
development position to look into how LA can help regional people and
bodies prepare grant requests. The initial stage of any communities
asking another for a bit of help can frequently be the hardest. Not that
I can speak for Mr Manu, but if he's in the early stage of setting up a
group asking for event details, multiple milestones, etc. might be
jumping the gun a bit and putting him off.

Now, I don't mean to suggest Mr Manu's plan/idea be rejected at all. Nor
do I wish to sound like some patronising whitey (although I can be
rather good at that even when I don't intend it). However, I can't help
but wonder if this is not a rather excellent opportunity for LA to
consider the situation and utilise Mr Manu's application as a first step
to further relations in the region with other Open Source people. Over
time, LA have amassed a great body of knowledge amongst it's members.
Yet to me it does seem very AU/NZ focussed.

That's just my initial though. Not having applied for LA grants before,
I don't think I have much to contribute to this application. I'd like to
think maybe some organisers of other groups, or past conferences, who
have received grants can help out here immediately. But yes, a little
more detail in the current application would certainly be required.
What, precisely, has already been covered by yourself and Bianca.

Except... maybe... ANYTHING TO LET THE GROUP FREE THEMSELVES FROM
FACEBOOK!!! :D

But as I indicate above, I think it'd be kinda grand if the committee
could consider the 'broader picture', for want of a better term, as
somewhat a matter of urgency so that we may help Mr Manu along, as well
for future requests that may come in or people from the region who
merely want to be involved but feel... left out.

Pete.

(Rambling lots because ... see previous thread. Humble apologies!)