[Linux-aus] Papua New Guinea Open Source Community

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Mon Jan 13 18:41:09 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

With my Linux Australia secretary hat on, I offer the following;

As a matter of due diligence for each grant request I confirm the
identity of the grant requestor and that they are a member of Linux
Australia as per the grant policy at;
http://www.linux.org.au/projects/grants

I can confirm that Mr Isaac Manu is a LMS Administrator at University of
Papua New Guinea, Open College
http://www.upng.ac.pg/oc_home.html

However, I cannot find a record of membership via the membership list at;
http://linux.org.au/membership

With my Linux Australia *member* hat on, I offer the following;

This grant *does* fall within our community's values, however with great
respect I would like to recommend that this grant request be withdrawn
and resubmitted at a future time, with the following changes;

- Membership number of the requestor
- Specific information about the plan to set up the Open Source
Community, such as a list of goals, milestones, stakeholders, programs,
events etc
- More specific information about the hardware to be purchased
- How the success of the grant would be measured

This would allow the grant not to be rejected per se, and invites
comments/contributions from the wider community on how the grant could
be better formulated.

What are the thoughts of others?

Kind regards,
Kathy

On 10/01/2014 11:20 PM, Iceh Mahn wrote:
> Date: 10th January 2013
>
> Project Name: Papua New Guinea Open Source Community
>
> Aim of Project: Establish Open Source Community in Papua New Guinea
>
> Person Responsible for Request: Isaac Manu - University of Papua New Guinea
>
> Request:
> 1. Training / Assistance to setup Open Source Community
> 2. Overhead costs such as some bit of hardware, or bandwidth for an
> open source project
> 3. Resources such as web space, hosting, mailing lists
>

> Thank you
> Isaac Manu
> PNG Open Source Community
> Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNGOSC/