[Linux-aus] Nomination for Council Member / Treasurer

Neill Cox neill.cox at ingenious.com.au
Sun Dec 21 11:29:38 EST 2014

Noel,

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

>  Neill,
>
> Sure, when standing for elections it's to their own advantage to tell us
> what they want to about themselves, but they shouldn't need to declare
> anything, who they work for, or who their colleagues are, nor should I have
> the right to demand this incase one of them doesn't think too highly of LA,
> for all we know, David may disagree with what Sam wrote, nobody bothered to
> ask him AFAIK, and he also has the right not to answer that to avoid
> workplace conflict, certain people just want to execute him based on an
> association, and that's just plain out wrong no mater how you look at it.
>
> No one has called for people being banned from standing for election.

In this case as far as I can tell, you're not bothered by David's
association with ITWire, which is fine - you can vote accordingly.  Steve
seems to be concerned, again fine, he can vote accordingly.  I haven't
entirely made up my mind, but if I hadn't known I could not make an
informed decision.

> For example, I'm sure no one here thinks much if anything of telstra or
> the big banks, so that might end the chances of someone here who works for
> one of them, most people detest politicians because they work for their
> party - not the constituents, so someone might declare they work in a level
> of govt - even in IT (well its still "employer association"), ok, there
> goes their chances of council... so where will it end?

No one is trying to tell you how you must vote, but wouldn't you rather be
an informed voter?