[Linux-aus] Programs for education, was Re: Special support for women

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Thu Oct 31 15:40:57 EST 2013

On 31/10/13 14:15, Randall Crook wrote:
> On 31/10/13 13:05, Kim Hawtin wrote:
>> In the broader sense of being able to give them a *soft landing*.
>
> Just stuck me as rather amusing... My First look at Linux was a copy of
> SLS (Soft Landing Software IIRC) from a friend of mine. 13 5.25"
> floppies, I vaguely remember, back in 1994.

Indeed. only 13?

> I wonder if anyone else remembers this wonderful distro and knows what
> ever happened to it?

The vibe of it is much the same as slackware, which is still around today.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System

This is a choice comment; "Similarly Ian Murdock's frustration with SLS
led him to create the Debian project."

Slackware in indeed directly linked from SLS;

   http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/11.04/gldt1104.svg

> God I feel old now.

You and me both. It was only twenty years ago. =P

regards,

Kim