[Linux-aus] Special support for women

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Thu Oct 31 12:20:11 EST 2013

David,

>> It is the view of the majority of the LA Council that this thread
>> doesn't meet a reasonableness test of being relevant to linux-aus
>> aims or Free and Open Source Software.
>>
>> Accordingly we're moderating this thread and would ask all parties
>> to refrain from re-engaging with the original post.
>
> It pains me to need to state the obvious: it is not appropriate for
> the LA Council, even less a mere subset, to suppress discussion on
> what members feel that LA should or should not do.  Accordingly you
> must not attempt to moderate this thread; and all parties should feel
> at liberty to engage.

Broadly speaking, I agree, generally it is _not_ the place of the LA
Council to suppress a discussion on the liux-aus mailing list.

However, it _is_ the place of the Council to ensure that the list
remains a communications channel where all members can participate and
not be confronted with postings that are so egregiously out of step with
majority opinion and hurtful to a non-trivial number of list members.

I further add that I have received more emails supporting the action
taken than condemning it.  Indeed the only email "against" the action
taken has been yours...

Thus the Council and I stand by the decision taken.

In closing you make a reference to "a mere subset" of the Council.  In
the interests of a timely response, the decision was taken by a Quorum
of Council members and subsequently agreed to unanimously.

If you wish to discuss this further, I encourage you to take it up with
the Council and I directly - ctte at linux.org.au

Hugh