[Linux-aus] grr

Ian ilox11 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 09:46:23 EST 2013

On 19 October 2013 21:58, Euan de Kock <euan at dekock.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just to let you know that some of the organising committee people for
> linux.conf.au 2014 are tracking this.
>
> It's kind of got a little beyond the initial request, but some important
> issues have been raised, some of which can be answered/addressed by us, and
> some which may need to go to linux australia.
>
> Well try and post a response once we've had a chance to discuss this, and
> to see what our options are.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Euan deKock

Getting back to the point of Robyn's initial posting... there has always
been a behind-the-scenes availability to request a waiver or discount of
costs for those that make application and can provide backup documentation
to their request for support. Unfortunately this can be seen by the person
with a disability or poor financial situation as requiring a begging letter
and in some cases the divulging of sensitive information to a volunteer
committee of people who may not have the training and background to
properly assess the degree of support required.

Clear statements on the web pages would alleviate this to some extent and
minimise the paper chase aspect for an already overwhelmed committee trying
to put on a best practise conference.