[Linux-aus] grr

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Oct 19 14:58:34 EST 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:38:43 Peter Lawler wrote:
> On 19/10/13 13:25, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > Heck, I'm not sure even if one could hire an Auslan signer to 'work' for
> > > a little under 12 hours a day for five days straight. Probably need at
> > > least two...
> > A typed transcript of talks would probably be easier/cheaper to manage as
> > well as being more useful.
>
> > It wouldn't be technically difficult to have an IRC channel for each lecture
> > hall so that someone who types really fast could transcribe the talk.
>
> Yes, visually impared people should be left to fend for themselves on
> IRC just like any other schmuck...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auslan

I've put back the context that you cropped out.  The above URL has information
on Auslan for anyone who is interested.

Will we have people who are deaf and blind attending LCA?  If so what do you
suggest we do to assist them?  It doesn't seem that Auslan will be helpful for
people in that situation, while an IRC transcript will be useful for anyone
who can read a Braille terminal.

Note that my original suggestion was for an IRC channel for each lecture with
one person transcribing the talk.  Not for random chit-chat on IRC.  So no-one
would have to "fend for themself" on IRC, they would just join the channel
that is of interest and read it.