[Linux-aus] python regex

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 18:55:12 EST 2013

On 10/7/13, Daniel Black <daniel.subs at internode.on.net> wrote:

> <HOST> is a fail2ban ism for matching a IP host and it isn't part of
> python regex.

Yes, I am aware of that, it is _after_ that, I care about

it is python regexing, the host bit was an example as to the last
thing in my regex string

>> TLS/SSL connections will only match  rip=(?P<host>\S*),.*
>>
>> But plain connections will only match on rip=(?P<host>\S*)
>
> fail2ban matches on logs as it doesn't listen to network connections

Yes, I also know this too

what I am after is a python regex that matches on   "" or "foo"

> . is any character
>
> http://docs.python.org/2/library/re.html
>

>> , I have also tried .*?
>> and a bunch of other variations.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> 1) use the fail2ban-regex tool

fail2ban-regex  is how I have been working on this, and know how it is
missing and what it is hitting

but thanks anyway