[Linux-aus] [luv-talk] Should I feel sorry for Queenslanders?!

David Lyon david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Sat Nov 23 09:41:10 EST 2013

On 2013-11-22 13:58, Daniel Jitnah wrote:

> Take another example, if you are learning MSSQL, it is unimaginable
> that
> the course will not be geared to emphasise MSSQL specific so called
> "enhancement" features, and students will be brain washed to use them.
> Out in the real world, if faced with a situation where this person has
> to make a choice between MSSQL and say Postgres or MariaDB, the
> chances
> that MSSQL will win is very high. (same argument applies to Oracle
> btw)

Actually things in the real world can work either way.

At one place I work we have a 'young' person appropriately trained as
described above. He's always pushing Microsoft products to management
in
a very enthusiastic way. Nothing wrong with that.

However the dilemma is management don't want to purchase software as
that
can be reasonably expensive. In fact, they've grown to like Open Source
software more as with a bit (ok - a lot) of effort it can be made to
achieve pretty much whatever is needed.

In all fairness, I'd say it's pretty easy to switch between Microsoft
software and Open-Source in a typical commercial environment. And
knowing
how hard it is to sell software these days, I don't blame microsoft for
doing everything they can legally to keep their business going.

Telling kids the advantages of their software, I can't see anything
wrong with that. If the open-source community want to do similar things
then they can do that also. My point is that in the real world, there's
a mix of hardware and software. As consumers, we can all choose what
we wish to buy and what we don't. So I don't see a big problem.

Regards

David