[Linux-aus] Assistance in starting a new Open Source project

Avi Miller avi.miller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 07:43:13 EST 2013

Hey Silvia,

On 17 Nov 2013, at 11:23 pm, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're asking for a web analytics solution that can deal with web audio and video. I think rather than inventing a new system, you're better off improving am existing open source web analytics solution.

I agree that inventing a new system is way more work than improving an existing open source application. However, as most of them currently use the Google Analytics style model of using JavaScript triggers, getting them to track media downloads is very challenging, especially when that media can be accessed by Flash applications, iTunes, smartphones, etc. That's why I was interested in creating a more focused solution that works regardless of the playback mechanism by trapping the request itself.

> You've already found piwik. There is also http://www.openwebanalytics.com which seem to have a modular extension api. Apparently three are some others, but I don't know how good they are: http://sixrevisions.com/usabilityaccessibility/10-promising-free-web-analytics-tools/.

That's a really useful list, thanks!

> Building a web analytics app is not trivial and requires a certain kind of community to maintain it. I highly recommend talking to existing communities rather than trying to build your own.

Good advice. I'll go through the list above and see which of them could be manipulated for my own devices and see if any of them already do what I want. :)

Cheers,
Avi