[Linux-aus] Gender discrimination in IT (was Re: Victim Impact Statement)

Lev Lafayette lev at levlafayette.com
Wed Nov 6 10:52:08 EST 2013

On Wed, November 6, 2013 10:24 am, Noel Butler wrote:

> guess what, this is called  R E A L I T Y  and only in very  M I N O R
> cases - but, if:

Actually, as I have just illustrated it happens a great deal. Formally, it
is almost always illegal (yet still occurs), informally it occurs in in
the majority of hiring practises, and in the majority of workplace
cultures after employment. This is no guess, but rather the result of
empirical research.

> She got the job because the govt said we have to hire more women
>
> THAT is the day Australia becomes the biggest laughing stock of the
> world, businesses full of more sex than the other, mandated by govt but
> who cares if they know HTF to do the job and cause irreversible damage
> to the company

I don't think such a proposal that has been suggested by anybody. The
closest I've seen - and what I suspect inspired the original post - was an
offer of internships for an outreach programme by FOSS organisations.

c.f., http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2013-October/020980.html

All of which, it should be added, is seeking practical solutions to
address a real problem.

Regards,

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GCertPM, MBA