[Linux-aus] Linux, Open-Source and the young-people.

David Lyon (Hackerpads) david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Tue Jan 15 17:41:35 EST 2013

On 14.01.2013 20:26, maddog at li.org wrote:

> I can tell you from personal experience that young people really like
> things like the Raspberry Pi and
> the Arduino, to allow them to better understand electronics and
> building "real things".

Well the Raspberry-Pi is great because it's small and cuddly. Also,
having
Debian on it gives it respectability for a range of different software
applications.

I know they are imported, and we don't get much say over their design
and that's fair enough. But they are becoming quite mainstream and were
a big leap forward compared to things like the Chumby and Maple Leaf
a year or two before.

There's a lot of learning/teaching potential on the Raspberry-PI even
if it's not everybodies cup of tea. It's big in Europe so that's one
reason to be involved as I see it.

> Another thing you might consider is to reach out to non-Linux users
> and bring them into the fold.  Have a program segment for newbies and
> challenge members to bring two Windows users to the next event.

Well even Windows is going through a major (say forced) revitalisation.

That's definitely a good idea, just have to find the keen Windows
users.
It's not as easy as it was before.

David