[Linux-aus] Name change election results..

Daniel Jitnah djitnah at greenwareit.com.au
Thu Jan 3 11:42:43 EST 2013

On 03/01/13 01:33, David Newall wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I think the council made the correct decision.  You observe a 3:1
> majority in favour of a name change, but that's a lie by statistics.  It
> implies people prefer any name rather to Linux Australia, but the
> reality is that the people who prefer a name change aren't agreeing on a
> particular new name.  They want the current name rather than a name
> which isn't the one they prefer.
>
> David

To put it another way, even though more people did not put keeping LA as
their first choice, they still listed it high enough in their preference
or did not put another name higher in sufficient number, so that in
effect it is their second best choice.  That is what preference
distribution amounts to. Still another way, they are effectively saying:
"If we cant agree on a new name lets keep the current name."

So to keep everyone happy, keeping the LA name is indeed the most
democratically sensible decision to make.

Cheers
Daniel.