[Linux-aus] Professionals Australia (formerly APESMA)

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Dec 17 17:35:49 EST 2013

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:08:33 Brenda Aynsley wrote:
> The ACS (Australian Computer Society) is the recognised professional
> association for those working in Information and Communications

http://www.acs.org.au/sfia-certification/acs-certification/guidelines

The main purpose of the ACS seems to be to get "certification".  You do a bunch
of things that they consider to be good and make records of it and then they
award you with a certification which might theoretically be regarded well by
some employer at some future time.

The certification process has improved since I last checked it some years ago.
Last time it seemed almost impossible for anyone who does FOSS work to get the
higher levels of certification (they were mostly aimed at managers).  Now you
can even count time spent reading blogs towards ACS certification.

I think that if you want certification you should look at something like RHCE.
The RHCE test is based on past knowledge (if you have good skills you can just
turn up and pass the test), it has a training course which can be combined
with the test (for people who might not pass straight off) and it is difficult
enough that skilled people can fail it (I've seen that happen).  Note that I'm
not saying that RHCE is better than other Linux certifications, it's just the
only one that I've done.