[Linux-aus] [OT] What's a peak body?

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Tue May 1 10:20:35 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 21:35 +1000, James Polley wrote:
> I was expecting to get a definition of "peak body", but since we're
> just assuming we know what we mean..

Yes, well I was trying to avoid that.  Once you start arguing about
definitions any semblance of a useful discussion is probably gone.

We can probably agree that the clubs elect the AFL Commission, and the
commission's main job is to run the company.  Which means while they are
legally distinct entities in reality it is the same bunch of people.  It
becomes a bit like aj's trading name suggestion in some ways - same
bunch of people, but two names.

> Nothing was disbanded in 1993. The League ceded more powers to the
> Commission, but did not disband.

This is how the AFL itself describes what happened from [2]:

        "Other powers - all other powers to run the AFL competition were
        transferred to the AFL Commission and the AFL Board of Directors
        as it was constituted then was abolished."

Nonetheless you are right.  Clearly the company was neither disbanded
nor abolished as a legal entity.  The confusion arises because both the
quoted paragraph and I are describing something different - the
political structure that controlled the company.

[2] http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/2504/default.aspx