[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 59, Issue 7

Stephen Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Feb 15 15:21:29 EST 2012

On 02/15/2012 01:01 PM, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> Most of that (cameras, mics, tripods, switchers) is hired just for LCA. The other stuff (cables) sits in storage either in the previous LCA host city, in the next host city or in Melbourne.

Cameras, Tripods, and a few mics are rented (ie- you want to know the
keynote lapel mic is going to work properly, and is going to be of good
quality).

The LCA AV kits do contain a selection of wireless MICs, some of which
even work. Source switching is done in software, and the kits now
contain some laptops set up for this task, but they're not the sort of
thing you'd want to be shipping around to LUGs for practice. Having done
an LCA where we had everything 8 months out, and done an LCA where we
were chasing kit back from a non-LA conference 2 weeks before the conf
started, I know which one had a lower stress factor.

Stephen