[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Steve Dalton steve at refactor.com.au
Tue Aug 28 16:48:45 EST 2012

It does seems a little big. Why not jettison mini-confs, but have the venue
available the day before for people to run their own OpenSpace/Barcamp type
conferences?

Some elements of Open Day could even seep back into this if you made the
whole (or part) free entry.

Just a crazy idea that popped into my head - that often happens..... :)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM, James Polley <jamezpolley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The Council is extremely interested in getting feedback from you, the
> > community, about what this means for LCA2014.
> >

> I'll moot a few thoughts here, but note that because I am already
> committed to running PyCon Australia in August or September 2013, my
> ability to lead a bid team for Hobart is severely restricted, as would
> be any interest for people who traditionally attend both PyCon AU.
>
> Is LCA too big? At the moment, LCA is a week-long conference,
> featuring three days of organised events, plus two days of miniconfs
> (which end up being more work than they originally appear to be).
>
> Could we perhaps scale back the scope of LCA -- for instance, do we
> need a PDNS?  Open Day is something that has rightly been jettisoned
> as of LCA2012 - is there more cruft that we can get rid of here?
>
> Are we running too many streams? Dealing with a 5-stream conference is
> much more work than dealing with a four-stream conference at most
> venues I'm familiar with.
>
> Are miniconfs the right model for the first two days of the conference?
>
> Could we gain from reducing the amount of work that's needed to fill
> miniconf content at the start of the week?
>

> ***
>
> I think making LCA a smaller conference is something in the long-term
> interests of the conference -- as James said, we've got plenty of
> special interest conferences that will reduce the audience of LCA, or
> at least keep it steady... But the scope of LCA does seem to be
> leading to burnout and is reducing interest in bidding for the
> conference.  I think this is something that can be improved upon.
>

> I'm happy to work with council on expanding and implementing these
> ideas, but at the moment I'm in no position to run another conference,
> for the reasons described above.
>
> So, what else do people think?
>
> --
> --Christopher Neugebauer