[Linux-aus] Should we change? Yes. To change is to grow.

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Mon Apr 30 14:19:49 EST 2012

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:20:40 -0400, "Jon \"maddog\" Hall" <maddog at li.org> wrote:
> Then separate out the "mechanisms" that benefit Python, Drupal and the
> other organizations, including one for "Linux Australia".  Each
> organization has their own "brands", and perhaps their own conferences,
> with a "federated" conference every year for either new things (that do
> not have enough following for their own brand or conference) or things
> that are "winding down" and need a place for their users to meet.

The point of brand recognition is a good one.

While we all now have friends and family that recognise "free software"
as a thing, how much does the rest of the world? Is sacrificing the word
Linux in the organisation name going to sacrifice the (possibly) little
recognition we have from the broader community?

--
Stewart Smith