[Linux-aus] Should we change? (Was: Re: Should we change? Yes. To change is to grow.)

Patrick Elliott-Brennan mail at elliott-brennan.id.au
Mon Apr 30 11:27:43 EST 2012

1. Didn't like the presumptive "Yes. To change is to grow." My
apologies to whomever it was that put that bit in there.

2. I'm changing my 'Don't think so' to 'Dunno.'

I've been keeping abreast of the arguments and I *think* I have an
understanding of the issues being raised.

Consequently I can see the 'yes' side a bit more clearly, though I'm
not really happy with any of the name suggestions so far.

I'd offer a version but I cannot think of one which *I'm* happy with
either. I just am *personally* not enthused by any I've read so far
(note this emphasis - I'm not criticising any individual suggestion.
I'm glad people are making them because I can't think of one).

The problem with 'Free' is that I believe it will infer things we
don't mean - many people believe Windows is free and Mac OS is free.
In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the great majority of 'puter users
would think this is mostly or largely true.

Then again, the Free Software Foundation name seems to work.

Libre - personally love it but may require a lot of effort to market
the meaning.

As you can see, I'm rather undecided. That said, I'm quite happy to
read what's being written.

I would like to see some research on the issue - can LA arrange or
afford to do this? - or at least some meta study of  examples of name
changes in the field/industry and the consequence. Anyone have any
links or seen anything similar?

Regards,

Patrick