[Linux-aus] What does advocacy / promotion look like?

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Sun Apr 29 17:22:01 EST 2012

On 29/04/2012, at 4:05 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 03:08 +1000, Donna Benjamin wrote:
>> Linux Australia is not currently engaged in the active promotion of
>> Linux in Australia.
> And therein lies the major problem.
>
> So yes, perhaps, since it does very little for promotion of Linux, it perhaps should have a name change, but, only when it relinquishes the name "Linux Australia", so that name may be utilised by some who actually will do something for the promotion of  Linux.

Or perhaps rolling up your sleeves and contributing. There's no shortage of things our community wants and needs to achieve, but there's always a shortage of people who'll be prepared to make them happen.  You want to promote Linux? Get with people who have the same itch and make it happen - the council would *love*it* if more people got involved!

So how about it, why not focusing our efforts towards promoting, supporting, and developing free and open source software, including the Linux kernel alongside userspace, rather than arguing over 'meta' endlessly?

Michael...