[Linux-aus] What does advocacy / promotion look like?

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:00:50 EST 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 16:35, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 03:08 +1000, Donna Benjamin wrote:
>
> Linux Australia is not currently engaged in the active promotion of
> Linux in Australia.
>
> And therein lies the major problem.
>
> So yes, perhaps, since it does very little for promotion of Linux, it
> perhaps should have a name change, but, only when it relinquishes the name
> "Linux Australia", so that name may be utilised by some who actually will do
> something for the promotion of  Linux. To do otherwise, would be the same as
> going into a coffee shop and buying the last two cakes, with only ever
> having intention of eating one of them, taking the other just to despite the
> rest that might want it to eat.

Once again:

The advocacy of Linux is well within the scope of the current Linux
Australia.  Starting a Linux Advocacy subcommittee would be beneficial
to the current operation of this organisation.  The reason why there
currently isn't any Linux advocacy is because members of the community
haven't volunteered to do so, and the current council have other
interests at the moment.

I strongly encourage people interested in the future of Linux in
Australia to start up such a committee.

Doing so under the auspices of the current Linux Australia
organisation would give you access to funding, and even training on
how to deal with the media if the council felt it was justified (as I
understand this budget hasn't been spent yet).

Would you be interested in starting such a subcommittee? I feel that
it would be hugely beneficial to our community, and I'd gladly support
such a move.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer