[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Fri Apr 27 13:26:50 EST 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
> To make a counter point to Chris, having Linux Australia as the backer for
> the first two PyCon AU's was an obvious advantage.
>
> Linux Australia has established itself has being able to finance and run
> good conferences, going to sponsors and say "we have the backing of the same
> people who do Linux.conf.au" was a great way to get people over the "your a
> new conference" hump. Linux Australia already has relationships with a lot
> of our previous sponsors and thought of kindly. It was very easy to sign
> sponsors who had dealt with LCA and had a good time without having to do too
> much selling. Having a group which has been around for 10(?) years gives
> confidence over a new kid on the block.
>
> Obviously this is changing now that PyCon AU has successfully run for two
> years and has established itself. I believe Chris is also targeting people
> who might not have been targeted previously and thus running against new
> problems.

This sounds like we're changing the name because of Chris's request.

That is not the case. Chris has just patiently explained *on the
example of PyCon* how difficult it is for a conference rooted in open
source to run under an LA banner.

Instead, let's just think about how many other great conferences could
be organised by new people that are attracted to an organisation that
doesn't run under the banner "Linux", but under the broader banner
"Open Source".

As we're trying to be more inclusive, we have to make sure the label
at the door doesn't turn people off from the start. You wouldn't go to
see a GP either if he had dentist written on their door.

Regards,
Silvia.