[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia cast PyCon adrift?

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Fri Apr 27 00:02:13 EST 2012

On 26/04/12 19:58, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> Feel free to follow the procedures in our constitution to raise a
> motion to make this happen.

In case you missed the fair thought I invited you to give, allow me to
put it thus:  There is no problem with our name, nor with our mission,
despite that our mission far exceeds our name.  Our problem is that a
SIG wants to change our name because they perceive it a disadvantage for
them.  I don't want to ditch PyCon; it's part of what we do.  Even less
do I want to ditch the name; it's our history.

I've organised quite a few conferences so I know from experience that
it's a lot of work.  With due respect, Chris, I am a very long way from
being convinced that we have a problem.  As said before, the underlying
platform is not very relevant to Python; it works just as nicely on Mac
and Windows as it does on Linux.

Put it another way: Is there a Python conference on Microsoft or Apple
in Australia?  Could it be that you're expending your energy defending
us against a straw man?  If they want to go to a Python conference
they'll go to *our* Python conference because there is no better one to
attend or sponsor or ridicule.

Please permit me to register my vote, now, for any move to change our
name.  I vote nay, and in doing so bow out of what seems a to me to be a
very silly discussion.  Truly no offence intended and my sincere
apologies if I failed in that.