[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?
aj at erisian.com.au
Thu Apr 26 17:25:18 EST 2012
On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:44, John Ferlito <johnf at inodes.org> wrote:
> The council wants the community to discuss this potential name change and if
> required, an appropriate name. One name that seems to accurately reflect our
> shared values and our direction is Open Source Australia.
Hmm, a variation on that idea that might work could be using the name
- open source easily expands to cover software, hardware, community stuff
- "org" and "au" cover both the "community" and "Australian" aspects
- using a (non-dot-com) domain name hints that it's a geeky/technology group
- using a domain name as the actual name ties in with linux.conf.au
- using a domain name is different from OSIA, OSDC, OSI, etc
- we already have the domain name
BTW: if LA were to register whatever name gets chosen as a business
name, associated groups could start just referring to their parent
organisation by that name straight away, no? Then we could defer the
name change to the 2013 AGM without needing to make constitutional
changes in the meantime, no?
Also, where will NewName hold its AGM?
Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au>
More information about the linux-aus