[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:19:10 EST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Paul Gear <paul at libertysys.com.au> wrote:

> On 26/04/12 12:20, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> > I don't expect that at all. What I do expect is that I wouldn't have
> > to explain that "The money is not going to Linux". Obviously, I
> > understand the difference between due diligence, and dealing with
> > unfounded confusion.
>
> Once again, I'm curious: what sort of sponsor would have trouble with
> excess profits going to Linux Australia

Chris hasn't said that anyone has trouble with profits going to Linux
Australia. He's said he repeatedly has to explain why a body which
obviously (it's right there in the name) only cares about Linux would want
to run an event that talks about FOSS that runs on other OSes.

Even if Chris is able to explain this to every single potential sponsor[1]
and they all individually eventually understand that they're actually free
to talk about Python running on any platform at all, it's still a colossal
waste of time that could easily be avoid with a different name.

[1] But to paraphrase Peter Lieverdink: It's not about the sponsors who
contact you and give you the chance to explain what the "Linux" on the
website actually means; It's about the potential sponsors that get confused
by "Linux" on the website/ prospectus and never contact you at all.