[Linux-aus] Would Someone Call an SGM to Change the Constitution to Reflect the "Real" Name?

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:20:07 EST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Call a special general meeting to change the organisation's name? You lot
> seem to want it, quit talking the talk and just walk the walk...

There's no point calling an SGM at this stage. When an SGM gets called, the
exact motions to be voted on at the SGM need to be included in the notice
of the SGM. At this point, there's not even a consensus on *if* the name
should be changed, let alone *what* it should be changed to.

A Special Resolution will definitely be required. A special resolution
requires a three-quarters majority of people voting to agree before it can
pass. If we put the motion today, I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't get
the support of a three-quarter majority - so calling an SGM at this point
would be a waste of the organisation's time and money.

> Regardless of what the organisation's core values are, we're not here to
> argue about our legal name.

Actually, that's precisely the topic of discussion at the moment.